Sunday, January 24, 2010

First Completion of 2010

Feels good to have a completion! I started this on December 26, and just finished the binding today! I call it: Penumbra.

This is my first "circle" quilt and 1 I can check off my 2010 goals list. I received the templates for this block from my quilting professor friend, Layne. She gave me the 7" and the 3 1/2" templates. It was challenging, I did quite a bit of unsewing, but I learned a lot and I am thrilled with the results! This quilt measures 62" x 68", most of the fabrics are from the Arcadia collection from Moda, but I did use a hand dye (the solid turquoise) and my favorite Amy Butler Orange Dots. The back is dark brown with white polka dots that I found on sale.

I used this as my demo piece in my Free-motion class last weekend. I stitched it in an undulating Asian-inspired design. This stitch pattern seems easier than the stipple to me and my students thought so as well. I used YLI machine quilting thread in "Sticks and Stones". This is my second quilt with this color, I love it, it is a great blend of light, medium and dark neutrals that complements a variety of colors.


I am keeping this one!

5 comments:

SpryOnTheWall said...

Love the fabrics and colors! I would keep this one too :o) Hope you are doing well!

Al Wood said...

Another work of art

Annika said...

Gorgeous! And tha quilting is just great! wishing you a good week to come. Regards from Annika in Gothenburg, Sweden

Jenny said...

love love love it!

Bonnie said...

I love it. Glad you conquered curved seams. I have always loved them and making them. I have even been thinking about making one myself. You really have a talent for design. Bonnie