Saturday, November 14, 2009

New quilter friend

What a whirlwind week, and a great Friday to cap it off!

Some backstory: my son is a student at Appalachian State University, just up the mountain from here, in Boone, NC. He transferred in this semester and as a transfer student was required to take a seminar class. His professor, Dr. Layne McDaniels based her curriculum on the changes in the textile industry and has used the book "Travels of a T-shirt" as a text for this class. This is a great book and follows a t-shirt from the cotton grower in Texas to the manufacturer in Asia back to the retailer in the US. My son told Dr. McDaniels that I am a textile designer, so she asked me to come share my experiences with her class.

Needless to say, I was excited to talk about my job. And quite intimidated by a PhD.

But boy, was I so very pleasantly surprised! Not only is Layne a very intelligent woman, she is also a fantastic QUILTER! (and a new friend) Makes me feel really good about the quality of the educators at this institute of higher learning!

We played show and tell with our quilts and she graciously allowed me to photograph and share some of her quilts:






What an incredible collection of work! I had the best time getting to know Layne and sharing our love for quilting. I feel like I have discovered a hidden treasure!

No comments: