Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Learning to free-motion stipple (tutorial)

I previously posted how I make and print my quilt labels. Well, I have decided to apply that process to another use: practice stitching for free-motion!

For this how-to, I am using a stipple pattern, but you can substitute an pattern you want.

Supplies needed:

Freezer paper, light colored fabric, rotary cutter or scissors

Cut your fabric and freezer paper to 8.5" x 11"



Lay fabric right side down on ironing board. Lay freezer paper, shiny side down, on top of fabric. Line up edges to be even. Iron paper to fabric with hot dry iron. This adheres the paper to the fabric.




Drawn a stipple (or other continuous line pattern) on a separate piece of paper. For this example, I am using a black marker so it will show up in the photos.





Scan your line drawing, just like you would any document. Then print on the paper-backed fabric you have made.


Peel, make your quilt sandwich, and follow your lines to practice!

If you try this, I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

CarmiƱa said...

Hello,
Thanks for share this.
It remember me someting similar i read about print pieces in fabric without use the patern like hexagons and others.