Friday, July 15, 2011

SummerWind-COMPLETED!!!

This baby is done, and she rocks! I present "SummerWind":


The center star and the multicolored border feature my hand-dyed fabrics along with a few batiks. 

The star was created using a pattern I found in Simply Charming Collection by Moose on the Porch Quilts.
I  designed the border and highlighted it with a running feather-loop in both the multicolored border and the black outer border.


I knew I wanted really heavy FMQ (Free Motion Quilting) in the white (negative) spaces. But to balance the quilt, I needed to stitch the center with a close, but not too dense stitch. So I did these curves with in each square.


Each white triangle has a feather surrounded by filler stitches. I am trying to define my style, so instead of doing a more traditional feather stitch, I tried to go more realistic. And I like it! 


Each white corner contains filler stitches: spirals, pebbles, loops. Just full of shapes I enjoy stitching.


The name comes from my favorite Frank Sinatra song: "Summer Wind".
The summer wind came blowin' in
From across the sea
It lingered there to touch your hair
And walk with me

No comments: