Thursday, March 8, 2007

Carbon offsets


Did you know there is already a growing market in carbon offsets? That is where you figure up the amount of CO2 you are responsible for emitting into the atmosphere and pay for trees to be planted to offset your carbon emissions. At work, we participate in "Trees for Travel" which offsets based on the miles we fly per year and we have a program called "Cool Commute" where we purchase offsets based on our yearly commuting mileage (which is matched by the company). I thought all of this was just wonderful, I still do, but I am a little surprised that there is already a profit to made in this arena. I guess it is better to profit from restoring our environment instead of destroying it.

I am a bit of a "Pollyanna", I believe in the innate goodness of people. Not as much as I used to, I was quite gullible in my youth! But I still give those I encounter the benefit of getting to know them before I form an opinion.

More of my truths:
I believe in LOVE, HOPE and PEACE.
I believe some of the most beautiful words in the English language are: "I love you" and "I am sorry".
I believe laughter keeps you young.
I believe my son is very handsome.

No comments: