Thursday, March 31, 2011

Random, non-quilting thoughts

Stayed with MIL again last night. She had a good night, but I got no sleep! Her oxygen machine started beeping about midnight. I got up, hit the reset button, went back to bed. Then 45 min later, same thing. It became a trend until 4am when it started beeping every 30 min. She slept through it all! I am going home tonight so I can sleep! I told my BIL about it this am and he is calling the home health company to come fix it! Anyway, I fixed my Beef-Cabbage soup for dinner and thought I would share the recipe (not too precise, I like guidelines instead of rules!LOL):

3/4 to 1 lb hamburger
1 to 2 cans beef broth or chicken broth or both
1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 liter V8 juice
1 bag prepared coleslaw cabbage shreds
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
**optional- 1 can diced tomatoes, if you like it tomato-ey**

I put the broth, onions, celery and hamburger in a pot and bring to a boil. I do not pre-brown the burger, I let it cook in the liquid. Add beans and V8 juice, return to boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, reduce to simmer. Add shredded cabbage, cook til cabbage wilts. That's it!

Very hearty, flavorful and warm. Meme loves it!

We also watched my guilty pleasure "Justified" on FX. My, that Timothy Oliphant is fine as frog hair! And Walton Goggins, who plays Boyd Crowder, is simply mesmerizing. I do not watch a lot of TV, but this show has excellent writing and an incredible cast filled with very interesting characters!

Hope to indulge in some sew-y, quilt-y stuff this evening.

1 comment:

Theodora quilts said...

sound good I make something similar ,but I don't add beans and also add some carrots,peas and ofcourse I chop up the cabbage all by my self LOL . theodora