Monday, January 23, 2012

Scrap finish #2 Tidal Pool

I finished this quilt today. Here is "Tidal Pool":

 Front
59" x 59"
Back

The second quilt made from scraps from Sargasso (the first one was Neap Tide).  I cut these scraps into 2 1/2" strips in a variety of lengths, pieced them end-to-end with a white square between. Then sewed the strips together in the "jelly roll race" method.
I free motion quilted large spiral orbs, inspired by Frances Moore's spiral quilting here.
This quilt makes me think of an underwater environment, and the orbs remind me of sea creatures floating on the currents. I filled in with curlicues.
I started quilting it with my polyester thread, but the Baby Lock doesn't like it, so I picked all those stitches out and went with a beige-pink Affinity variegated thread. Then I had a problem with skipping stitches. I changed needles until it stopped. Then finished up!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love the colors in this, plus the quilting is fabulous!

Ania said...

Beautiful. Color are just fabulous.
I love how you made three quilts from one fabric buy. Anything more left? one more? Three of them are just great. I need lessen how to quilt spiral.