Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sewing/Quilting machine(s)



I am in a quandry. We are getting a tax refund this year (thanks to the move, and college tuition!) and I am going to use part of it for a new machine. I have, and love a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 830. I use it every day, and get it serviced regularly. The repairman told me that I sew too much, and I do not want to burn out my machine! My quandry is that I really, really want a long-arm. But with said kid still in college, and me being in a not-too-secure job situation (textiles), I can not take the leap for a machine that costs more than my car (Gammill=$$$$)! My LQS (where I purchased my Sapphire) now carries BabyLock in addition to the Vikings, but none have the throat space that I currently have. I have been looking at a Juki TL98Q in combination with a Grace frame. I could use the machine on a table top and then on the frame as well. I need some opinions! Anyone out there have a Juki? A Grace frame? Another machine with a long throat? My Sapphire has an 11" throat which makes FMQing a large quilt easier to handle. Can I use my Sapphire on a Grace frame? Advice? Thanks in advance!

8 comments:

Jenny Squawk said...

This is a machine I've been thinking about, too. I have a Pfaff as my regular machine - love it. But I really want somemore space for quilting. I make really big quilts.

For me, a 5ft quilt is super easy to quilt. Smaller quilts I feel like, "Did I really drop my feed dogs for this?"

Last year, I jot a Juki serger and I am so impressed with the workmanship and attention to detail. I was originally looking at Juki, Janome, and a few others for longer armed machines.

After my Juki serger just a big hunk of dreamboat. Solid, strong, quiet hum, easy to use. I'd definitely go juki.

I haven't decided on if I'd want to move to a grace fram. I'm using a flynn. Ciao!

Vicki W said...

I have a Juki TL-98E that I bought in 2000 to use with an early model handiquilter frame. I now have a longarm and use the Juki for piecing. Mine is an earlier model of the one you are looking at and it is a FABULOUS machine. It has never been in the shop and I use it all the time.

Hand Quilting Nana said...

I too am looking to buy a Juki machine to do free motion quilting on.

I have tried to do it on my Pfaff 2040 but constant thread breaks have made me pull my hair out!!!

I have heard that the only thread that doesn't break on the Juki is signature thread. Wonder if you have heard the same.

Unknown said...

yes it's a great machine for quilting at either the table or on the frame. The Tin Lizzie and Bailey are compatible witht he Grace frame according to the Grace Co. I actually have my set up for sale. Check it out on Craigslist.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/2198544194.html

Laura said...

There is a store in Lexington that sells Juki machines, it's called Quilting Quest. You could visit them and try it out, see if it's something you'd like to use. I've heard they're really good machines. Link: http://www.quiltingquest.net/servlet/the-JUKI-Home-Sewing-Machines/Categories

I have two Pfaffs that I really like, one has the larger throat space, I got it last year with my tax refund, it's an Expression 2.0. Bought it at McKinney Sew & Vac in Greensboro, I think they also sell Jukis there--watch out, though, the guy there is a real "salesman"! But he is really good in the servicing/cleaning of machines.

Chris Daly said...

I love my Juki! Once you start using the automatic thread cutter you won't be able to live without it. The motor is very strong and all parts are metal which was one of the reasons that attracted me to it.

Jocelyn said...

Crazy Mom Quilts uses a Juki. You might check with her.

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2010/11/connecting-threads.html

Anonymous said...

I purchased the Juki TL2010Q a few months ago. Love it. That model replaces the TL98E you are looking at. Love it!!!!! Industrial features for home use. Love the thread cutter feature plus the power is great. I, also, have a new Bernina 440QE which is good with the stitch regulator but lacks the wonderful throat space that the Juki has. Both have their place but having used that Juki auto thread cutter it's difficult to go to the other machine!!!! Definitely a work horse model and the price is more than reasonable. Purchased from a dealer in Arizona....called them, did the deal and 4 days later received shipment. Doreen