Thursday, December 23, 2010

So, how'd I do?



Here we are, December 23, and a lyric comes to mind: "So this is Christmas, and what have you done?"
For a long time, I did not find this song remotely festive. I found it accusing and not too inspirational in the way of more traditional holiday fare. But, as I have aged, and mellowed, I have gained understanding. And in the ways of genius, John Lennon was asking a question I need to answer each year. I actually look forward to hearing this song now, I feel it propels me to do more, accomplish more, not in any competitive way, but to pursue more for good. So, in the name of end-of-year lists, this is how I stacked up to the goals I set for myself in January:


1. Christmas quilts for my king-size bed and for our full-size guest bed (2 quilts)-DONE! But the full-size became a gift for my beloved MIL.
 
2. Finish the string quilt for our king-size bed. (1 quilt)-OOPS, not done yet!
 
3. Sew curves! Currently working on a quilt that incorporates them. (1 quilt)-Done, here it is!

4. Make one of these cute circle quilts using my scraps. (1 quilt)-Nope, not done.
 
5. Enter quilting shows. The only way I'm going to get better is to pursue some critique! I have 2 entries ready to mail tomorrow for the AQS show in Paducah. I know, I am reaching for the stars, but you never know... I also have forms for 2 other shows, but they do not have to be mailed until April.Yep, did it and got juried into both AQS shows I entered! Also created a month-long, 2 woman show with my Mom for local Arts Council!
 
6. Teach what I know. I am lined up to teach 2 free-motion classes (if enough people sign up!). It is scary, but I know I will have fun, meet new friends and continue to improve. Yep, and now lined up to teach beginning classes and a more advanced class, 1 class each month at my LQS. Lovin' it!
 
7. Compile and publish a quilt pattern. I love to do my own thing, but why not share? Nope, just would rather create them instead of documenting them.
 
8. If what I am making/sewing/quilting is not fun, I am not going to do it. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not work! It also became my solace and therapy in a tumultuous year.
 
9. Find a quilting group/guild. I really need it! Well, didn't find a guild, but with our move I am closer to my LQS and able to participate in activities there. And LOVING IT!
 
10. Dye more fabric. I love the process and the colors I end up with inspire me to do more intuitive piecing, which makes me more creative. Oh yeah! Did more of this and looking forward to doing more!

11. In addition I designed and made a quilt that was raffled for the Stokes County Humane Society and I quilted a top that was raffled off for the Yadkin Valley United Fund. I love that this hobby that brings me such peace and joy can also bring funds to worthy organizations!


So, there it is for all to see: I am 7 for 10 in my quilting goals. And I feel pretty good about that!  As for numbers, this year I have completed these:


17 quilts, 5 tabletoppers, 5 wall quilts and quilted 2 tops for friends. 


I am working on my goals for 2011 and will post those later. Thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments, feedback and for reading my blog! And I wish the Merriest of Christmases and all the best the season has to offer for each of you. God Bless Us, everyone!





4 comments:

Sammy said...

You have done a great job.Beautiful work. I am very impressed, and really happy with this wonderful creativity. May 2011 is full of happiness, and inspirations.

Lots of hugs.

-Samya :-)

vivian said...

You done good! I love that song and sing it all year to keep me motivated. Merry Christmas to you-I have enjoyed reading your blog!

Al Wood said...

Not to mention, you have sold a house, bought a house, moved, unpacked and are decorating the new digs.

SpryOnTheWall said...

Wow, I'm totally impressed! Hope you all have a great Christmas and blessed New Year!!