Sunday, January 13, 2013

Local Quilt Shop Love

I do not receive any thing for my posts about the quilt shops I feature, except (I hope) a little love. 
I truly believe in supporting local merchants and hope you do as well.


Here it is January, and you do not know what to do to while away the winter hours. How about visiting one of our local quilt shops? You could get inspired, buy some goodies, take a class, visit and have fun!

Here in the Winston-Salem area, we are lucky to have 4 very different, yet equally awesome shops:

Sewingly Yours: this shop is a Baby Lock and Viking dealer and offers a variety classes (link to quarterly newsletter) for a variety of experience levels and interests. In fabrics, they have current offerings by Moda, Free Spirit, Northcott and others, and a huge selection of batiks. The clearance fabrics are in the back hall and offer an ever changing chance for wonderful deals.

Sew Original: this is an "everything" Bernina dealer. They also have a great variety of classes to learn and expand your knowledge. They feature Moda, Free Spirit, Batiks, and have recently added a nice selection of Kona Cottons solids. Sew Original also have a wide range of books and kits available. (link to website, classes are on their sidebar)

The Little General: this is a wonderful little jewel box full of Free Spirit fabrics. You can find the latest and greatest by Amy Butler, Tula Pink and Joel Dewberry among others. Gina also has lovely voiles, laminates and wools for crafting along with many modern quilt, craft and apparel patterns. Drop by to learn about current class offerings.

Knit One, Smock Too: I know, I am late to the party on this treasure,  but I have only been back in W-S full-time for 2 years and I only have Saturdays for retail therapy! BUT, I have been here and shall return! This is a great little shop in the neighborhood of my early childhood, South Fork. They have a great variety of fabrics not offered at the other shops listed, so it is well worth the trip to round out your stash! Knit One Smock Too sells supplies and teaches classes for knitting, smocking, quilting, and embroidery.

North, into the wilds of Stokes County, there are 2 newer shops I have discovered:

Papanana: Melanie says her shop is "like Pinterest in person" and she features how to's on a "Pin of the Week". This cute shop in King offers classes and supplies for knitting, crochet, sewing & quilting, painting & scrapbooking, candy & cake decorating, among others. Airy and filled with sunlight, this is a fun shop to visit!


The Thread Bear Quilt Shop is in Walnut Cove and is filled with great fabric, books and samples. Gina also offers classes on demand, so drop by and see what is available. The fabrics here are a wonderful array of batiks, modern fabrics, traditional and seasonal prints. They also offer yarn and needlework supplies.

Please leave me a message if there are other shops in the area, I would love to visit and feature them!

And how boring is a blog post without a picture? Here is a shot of quilting in progress:

4 comments:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Awesome! Thanks for the info on the shops I dont know!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree-I support my local quilt shops...very well! I make a point of purchasing all that I can from them and avoid the big box stores.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree-I support my local quilt shops...very well! I make a point of purchasing all that I can from them and avoid the big box stores.

Paige said...

I'm so glad you included Knit One Smock Too. I started out shopping there as a new knitter about 15 years ago and now I still go there for fabric, needles and all of Aurifil!