Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Fabric find

One of my goals (well 2 to be exact ) for 2010 is to make Christmas quilts for our beds. I got a start on that goal on Monday when we drove up to Boone to check on my son's cabin since the snow and ice storms. The cabin was fine, and on the way back, we stopped at on of my fave quilt shops, Sew Original. The quilt goddesses were doing end of year inventory, and I was just strolling about. I spied their group of Christmas fabrics and in that group was the layer cake I have been lusting for, Figgy Pudding. Now, I didn't get the Christmas quilt fever until mid December, and then it hit me hard! I began Googling "Christmas Quilts" at every opportunity, gathering ideas and inspiration. I found "Figgy Pudding" and was immediately drawn to the mix of modern and traditional, the reds and greens complemented by Robin's Egg blue and chocolate brown. I started trying to find the fabric on-line. Close to impossible, a fat quarter here, a half-yard there. But a layer cake, no way.

Well, there it was, a lone Figgy Pudding by Basic Grey for Moda Layer Cake. And as I was fondling it gently, lingering over each pattern, Kay calls out "all our Christmas fabric is half off". Needless to say, I changed my grasp on the fabric from a lover's caress to that of a death grip! And not happy to just get the Last Remaining Layer Cake, I also snatched up a Fat-Quarter set of Figgy Pudding as well. I know a single layer cale is not enough for a bed-quilt, and we have a king bed. Here are my goodies:



I have also decided on a pattern. Atkinson Designs "Slide Show". 


I love Terry Atkinson's patterns. Her directions are clear and she includes fabric amounts for a variety of sizes. I think this pattern will show off all the beauties in "Figgy Pudding". And I love the little squares in the sashing! I am not sure about the color of my sashing, but I am NOT using white! After all, we have hounds who love to lay on the bed! I am leaning toward dark red, brown or taupe. Possibly one of the "Dimples" colors. Now, what to do for the other bed?

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Kheli my friends just came in from Boone and they were snowed in. I like the quilt you are going to make and the fabrics you bought are delightful