Sunday, August 17, 2008

Constructive Saturday.


Did you happen to catch this issue of Threads?
I did, and fell in love with the cool tote bag on the cover. Not only did I want to make the bag, I wanted this exact bag!
I searched for the fabric, but did not find anything close.
So what to do?
Well, I actually got to see the exact bag and take the class to make it with the bag's designer, Mary Ray!
The class was held in the Boone, NC location of Sew Original.
Mary is an informative, supportive, knowledgeable and delightful teacher. I learned a lot from her and feel really fortunate to have gotten into this class. See her Craftstylish blog here.






Here are the photos of my finished bag:What I love about the bag: the cute pleated pockets on either side (love the way Mary showed this!); the bias trim; the completely finished edges inside and out; the way the bag can be custom designed differently each time it is made. I added a magnetic snap inside once I got home. I made my version 3 inches taller in order to hold files and papers. I will make the next one smaller, going exactly by the pattern.

No comments: