Friday, May 15, 2015

The latest

Writing this from Pittsburgh, where I have been working this week. My past visits here have been good but this visit has been great. Such a neat city, thriving, proud of its heritage and diversity. Given that the city is built along 3 rivers, it seams more like a cool small town than a metropolitan area with major professional sports franchises. My view this week:
The smokestacks in Homestead along the waterfront.

Since I am not home, the sewing/quilting has slowed, but as I had felt a lack of mojo, not surprising. I have squeezed in some visits to local shops. The lovely Loom:
 They have a lovely array of textiles, tons of Alexander Henry novelties, home dec fabrics and trims. I purchased some of the new Charley Harper collection. If you like modern designer prints, stop here! (And visit the Parisville powder room!)

The next evening I visited the Quilters Depot. Such sweet ladies! This is a shop that caters to quilters and knitters.


 They carry a nice variety of fabrics, yarns and notions. This shop is a Handi Quilter dealer si I picked up needles, many sizes! After a 20 minute visit, I felt like I had made life-long friends. (More of a traditional aesthetic and lots of thread choices.)

My last quilt-shop visit was The Gloria Horn Sewing Studio.
This shop is in a charming old house and is jam packed with fabric, pre-cuts, embridery notions and inspiration. Mostly Moda, with a traditional slant, I purchased some Bella Solids pre-cuts. Also notable here are the many antique sewing machines on display. (Traditional Moda fans, this is the place for you. Florals and patriotic prints).

I am glad to be home and starting to feel that creative tingle. Hoping to spend some quality time in my tiny sewing studio this weekend.

No comments: