Monday, July 28, 2014

One for Mom (and me)

We are nearing the 1 year mark of the passing of my Dad. While I know rationally that no one makes it out of here alive, and that Dad so dearly deserves this rest, this past 11 months has been so hard.
During this, natural occurances have taken on new meaning, as we look for comfort & assurance. Butterflies, with their annual transformation, have special meaning. This project has been in me for a while, but it needed to gestate, before I could do it. 
2 weeks ago, the time was right. So I made this small whole cloth quilt for Mom. It was the right time for me, very therapeutic. The FMQ just flowed.
 
I used 1 layer of cotton batting topped with a layer of high-loft polyester. Glide thread on top, with Bottom-line on the back and as filler to recede.
 
I love the puff, and the Bottom-line thread is my new favorite thread. Not breaks, no issues of any kind.

Mom loves it.

10 comments:

Katie said...

My mother told me when she was sick that she would be coming back to check on me as a dragonfly, so each time I see one that's what i think about and it brings me comfort. You are both wonderful and special people and perhaps this will serve as a reminder of the changes that you all have gone through and how someone else very special is always looking over you-- it's beautiful and your father would be so proud.

Paige said...

It's a beautiful tribute and I know your mother must love it.

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Wonderful that you can use your quilting as therapy. My mom passed away almost a year ago too and I know it's been super hard on my dad. He's so lonely and bored I think since he took care of her the last 3 years.

Beautiful piece of art you made.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is absolutely perfect, of course your Mom loves it! What a loving tribute to your precious Dad; well done, Kelly!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Beautiful :)

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Wow, this is spectacular! I love how the butterfly breaks free of it's border. I feel the emotion in the piece. Brilliant.

Ania said...

It is beautiful. Wonderful job.

April's Creations NC said...

Beautiful! It is never easy losing a parent no matter how sudden or sick they have been not having them with us is Painful! What a beautiful expression of another step in accepting/dealing with your loss, and in a way celebrating your wonderful Dad and family love (xoxo- hugs to you & your mom)

Vicki W said...

What a lovely gift for your Mom!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!