Saturday, February 23, 2013

FMQ: its what I do!

So, I wanted to do a whole cloth quilt. But not anything symmetrical or traditional. Just a pretty solid fabric, some thread and me, free-motion quilting. Now whole cloth quilts give you nowhere to hide. But that didn't scare me. Besides, I needed a quilt 24" by 24" to fit in my stairwell, so it was not that large.

And I have always liked illuminated letters. I love the extra special ways the letters were decorated. So I made, an illuminated letter, whole cloth quilt:
Our last name starts with "W" so my choice of letter was easy!


I love the Robin's Egg blue. So soft, yet cherry.
More feather practice
I drew the "W" with a chalk pencil. I also drew the border edge. Then I set out to fill the negative spaces with a variety of stitch patterns. And the white thread popped just enough.





 I like the contrast of the matchstick lines and the feathers. 
And I love the micro-stipple in the background!
I used Kona Snow on the back.
This is 24" by 24". Two layers of batting, thin cotton with wool on top. That gives a good "poof" in the unquilted areas, and the 2 layers give it a bit more structure for hanging.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful!

Laura Davies said...

Great job!

Katie said...

the picture does not do it justice -- it's amazing.

Vicki W said...

Oh you should have been with me at the Britihs Library 2 yeaes ago. Their collection of illu,monated texts is amazing. It would have been noce to have someon with me so poeple would not have thougt I was crazy talking to myself.
When you grow tired of thw W you can send it my way and I'll hang it in my house. It's awesome! Maybe I will male one for myself one day.

Vicki W said...

Sorry for the bad typing, I am on my exercise bike.
:-)

Tammy said...

OH my goodness! I love it Kelly. Your fmq is fabulous! Bravo, very well done.

April's Creations NC said...

I feel privledged that I got to see the FMQ one in person....looked great! Noticed your color theory block on the main page, that turned out spectacular too. I still can't get over that you do that all on your machine and that you don't have a longarm quilter, you are amazing, so glad you share you skills and we can be inspired to try it too!

Carrie P. said...

Magnificent!

Jenny Lyon said...

Gorgeous!Clever use of FMQ!