Sunday, July 26, 2009

Next up....

I had to take a small break this week from serious quilt making. The king-sized quilt took it out of me! And I needed to clean up the sweatshop, reorganize my sewing tools and materials and sort the large, usable scraps from the just-too-small scraps. As I have sorted and straightened, I used some scraps to sample a pattern I bought earlier in the year, the Bento Box by Tracey Brookshire. I had been admiring the ones I have seen on the web and in person. These 2 made up really easily! So, next up for me: the Bento Box.


I have been trying to keep to a disciplined approach to my quilting, and that means going through my stash BEFORE going shopping for more fabric! After all the cleaning and sorting, I did just that and pulled some gorgeous batiks I have been collecting. After putting these together, I came up with a crazy orange/purple color combo that starts to look really autumnal! I need a few FQs to complete the pattern and with those added in, here is my palette for this quilt:


I took them outside to see in natural light and I really like the richness of the colors together! So, I am starting TODAY!

Additional info for those of you in North Carolina, Sew Original (Boone, NC and Winston-Salem, NC) along with other local quilt shops (Lee Sewing Center in Hickory NC and Shelby NC) are sponsoring an event featuring Alex Anderson, on Saturday, November 7 in Charlotte. Registration has started so check out the links for how to reserve your spot.

Also, the Quilt Shop in Boone, NC is sponsoring a Kaffe Fassett Workshop on Tuesday, October 20. Kaffe and Brandon Mably will discuss how they create their signature scrappy look. Spaces are limited so call Sherri or Tod at the Quilt Shop (828-263-8691) to reserve your spot!

Both of these events are sure to be fun and educational and feature real superstars of the quilting world. Kudos for our local quilt shop proprietors for putting these events together!

No comments: