Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Favorite quilting tools

Okay, I understand and appreciate the revolution brought on by the rotary cutter, and I love my rotary cutter(s). My sewing shears are kept away from paper and my templates and rulers are stored together. I even splurged on a 24"x36" cutting mat (with a 50% off coupon from Michael's, they put them in the Sunday paper occasionally). But there are 2 tools I really love which make my quilting more enjoyable.
First, my design wall:



My design wall is actually made of flannel backed vinyl tablecloth yardage. Cost about $6 total. It is 54" wide, I bought 4 yards, cut it in half and hung the 2, 2 yd pieces side-by-side with a slight overlap. I used pushed pins to hang on the wall. Cheap and indispensable. I hang blocks up to arrange and often hang up FQs to coordinate.

Next thing I love:



My Viking Husqvarna Sapphire 830. Love it. Hums along like a dream. the longer throat accommodates the roll of quilt as I free-motion. As you can see, I do have a quilt in process. Hope to have it quilted by the end of the week. Love the batiks!

Don't forget to change your needles often when sewing/quilting!

No comments: