Saturday, July 22, 2017

at long last...

Gah! I had such plans! I was going to blog weekly. Then monthly. Then life and work just got in the way. So to catch up, some FMQ practice!
I like stitching these wavy lines and filling the spaces, very zen.

Using Aurifil Mako 50 wt in top and bobbin. Also using Glide in top on second piece.
Practice keeps me happy!
Just need more time to piece quilts!


Monday, March 20, 2017


Sometimes I need a small project. And recently new pillows for the den.

This is all scraps. I love flying geese! FMQ in matchstick lines.

This is 4 paper-piece blocks from an old quilting magazine. I think it was Quilters Newsletter from the 1990s. I made each block to represent the 4 seasons. 
All scraps, improvised piecing. Love the colors, reminds me of a gated flower garden.


Thursday, March 16, 2017

a sweet baby quilt

This is for a friend of my son.

A sweet little boy, born early, but doing well.

Fun koalas and dots. The quilting is a loose meander to keep it soft.
Pattern is Moondance by Villa Rosa Designs.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

February Dragon

My most recent quilt has been in development for several years. I sketched it and hung on to it, then got brave enough to do it!

The background is a patchwork of batiks, the dragon is Moda Cross weave. I added dense matchstick quilting to suggest dragon scales. 
I do like the stencil-look, but there wasn't much contrast between the dragon and the background.
I decided to add some thread work around the dragon in black. This added contrast, and emphasized the dragon more.
Much better. Although I can tell you I will revisit the dragon in a different approach again. 
The black thread work helps the contrast.



Monday, January 16, 2017

January practice

I decided that instead of doing practice pieces that I toss, I would create an entire composition for FMQ practice.
I started with trying a different style of feathers. In a flower shape. With a cross-hatch background.

I added formal feathers in the corners. 

Then I pondered the border. It needed even quilting to balance the intense FMQ in the center. 

I did ruler work to create an architectural border. With loops in the cornerstones.

Finished at 24"square. I used a layer of Quilters Dream mid-loft poly on the bottom under a layer of Quilters Dream Puff. Quilted with Glide thread on top and Aurifil in the bobbin.

Love the texture on the back!